Monday, February 15, 2010

Recipe by Amy: My Favorite Salsa



For as long as I can remember, I have been CRAZY about salsa--as in, I can eat it...and eat it...and eat it...and stay in love with it. Like there are days when I crave salsa. Like I judge restaurants based on the quality of their salsa and whether I will be dining there again. Like I rhapsodize about salsa to the point when I should feel shameful. But I don't.

My name is Amy, and I'm a salsaholic.

Naturally, I have been experimenting with salsa recipes for many years. I've added everything from vinegar and lemon juice to red pepper flakes and coriander, just to see if I could find that extra little oomph. But now I have a recipe that I absolutely adore--and that, my friends, is because I add lime!

Over the years, I have realized that salsa is a very personal thing, and that many people enjoy very different things when it comes to salsa. I like mine spicy, chunky, and full of cilantro. On the other hand, my mother prefers salsa that's mild and smooth--and that's ok too. I heartily encourage you to play around with this recipe. More than anything, this is just an example of the proportions you can use. But in actuality, the sky's the limit! Have fun with it!


Amy's Favorite Salsa (yields 4 cups)
*Click here for a printer-friendly version of this recipe*

1 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes, with juice
2 cans of Rotel tomatoes
1/3 cup diced onion
1 clove of garlic (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/3 cup of chopped cilantro


In a blender or a food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Pulse a few times on low for a chunky salsa, or puree for a smoother consistency. Chill for at least an hour to let the flavors get cozy with each other. Serve and enjoy your addiction.


Ahh, a bowl full of love. If your mother asks you to make it when you come home from school, you know you've done something right.

Peas and love,
Amy

2 comments:

  1. Your salsa is the best!!! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is almost one in the morning and I am contemplating making salsa...this looks SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete