Monday, March 1, 2010

Crack in Cheesy form...or Amy's Garlic Cheddar Biscuits


I'm about to do something very, very bad. You're probably going to never speak to me again. You're probably never going to come back to this blog. And you're probably going to hate me. But since we are friends, I've got to be honest with you.

I'm addicted to garlic cheddar biscuits. And you're about to be too.

And I don't even care!

In a word, these things are amazing. The ingredients are right in your pantry. They're so simple to whip up, you can have yourself a batch in about 15 minutes. And I don't know what it is, but these little babies are just so good.

So when you're wondering what's going to accompany the chicken you're having for the fifth night in a row because it was on sale for $1.19/lb and we're in a recession and you just can't allow yourself to upgrade to the $2.99/lb chuck roast because it's too extravagant, you should make these. Your family won't even remember that you're having leftover leftovers!

That last paragraph might have been venting. I have given all of my funds for my education, and therefore, the betterment of society. I keep telling myself this and hoping that somebody will pay me something someday to do something. Maybe one day, I'll be able to afford a chuck roast.
And what a beautiful day that will be.

But I digress.

Come with me, my friend. Your life will never be the same.

Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
(yields about 12-15 biscuits)

*Click here for a printer-friendly version of this recipe*
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/3 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup cheddar, shredded or cubed (I prefer cubed)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 6 tablespoons butter (3/4 stick), melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • parsley flakes, for garnish (if you're into that sort of thing)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Add cheddar and milk, and mix with a fork until well incorporated, when the dough follows the fork around the bowl. Place 1 tablespoon of dough on a greased cookie sheet, making sure the dough balls stay 2 inches apart. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, until cheese is melted and biscuits are golden.

While the biscuits are in the oven, make the garlic butter. Melt the butter, and stir in garlic powder and parsley (if using). When biscuits come out of the oven, immediate baste them with the garlic butter. Let them stand for a few minutes to absorb the garlic butter, and ravenously enjoy.


I'm sorry for what this might do to your thighs...and then I'm not sorry. Look at it this way: in your arsenal, you now have a recipe that is (1) quick and easy to make and (2) a definite crowd pleaser. And that's all any cook could ask for, right? Right?!

Right. At least I feel justified.

Happy cooking,
Amy

2 comments:

  1. Those biscuits look equally amazing and evil. And thanks for commenting on my site! You guys have some good stuff over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good!! Thanks for visiting and commenting. Hope you can follow along!

    ReplyDelete